With the current food habits of this generation, it is more likely to be hit by long-term diseases like diabetes, which can hamper your health to a much greater extend than most of the people imagine. However, there are a few food items that you can add to your daily meal routine to control or lower your diabetes, in addition to the medicines prescribed by your doctor.
In this blog, we will look at few superfoods that should essentially be adapted by anyone with diabetes.
1. Green vegetables with no starch -These vegetables have fewer carbs per serving and thus become an ideal choice for diabetes patients. Some researches suggest that leafy vegetables are healthier for people with diabetes because of their high antioxidant content and starch-digesting enzymes.
2. Tomatoes - Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is a powerful substance and may reduce the risks of heart diseases, cancer (prostate cancer mostly) macular degeneration, and lower diabetes. This can be consumed raw or cooked and shows same benefits.
A study has proved that 200 grams of raw tomatoes has helped the patients with type 2 diabetes. This can also reduce the risks of cardiovascular problems related to type 2 diabetes.
3. Yogurt -Like tomatoes, this can also help people suffering from type 2 diabetes. Consuming plain yogurt daily haa shown best results.
It ia quite interesting to note that while most dairy products increase the risks of diabetes, yogurt on the other hand can help cure it.
It is best to avoid sweetened yogurt which can contain too much sugar.
4. Citrus fruits -The pulpiness in citrus fruits like orange and grapefruit provide a very rich source of fiber, which is beneficial for our body.
Pulp is important to lower or control the sugar levels. Eating the fruits can lower the risks of diabetes and drinking the fruit juice can enhance the risks.
5. Walnuts, flax seeds, and other nuts - Many nuts like walnuts and ground nuts provide healthy fats can fulfill appetite, but these two are particularly powerful. They're full in vitamin E, folic acid, protein, healthy fats, and zinc.
6. Cold water fishes - Meats of fish do not contain any carbohydrates but may help manage or prevent diabetes better than any other types of meats. Fish meat can be baked, roasted, or grilled and can be paired with a mix of vegetables for an excellent meal choice.
7. Sweet Potates -They contain very less sugar and that too is released very slowly, making it a good alternative for people with diabetes. People can enjoy Sweet potatoes by Baking, roasting and boiling for healthier options.
8. Oatmeal - It is an incredibly nutritious packed food item with important vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. The fiber in it slows the absorption of glucose in the stomach, which can help in controlling the blood sugar.
9. Berries. -Blueberries are antioxidant powerhouses. These have the highest antioxidant levels that a fruit can have thus may reduce the risks of heart diseases and cancer.
10. Beans -They contain high-quality carbs, lean protein, and soluble fiber. Beans can essentially help stabilize blood sugar levels and control the hunge